I don't know why I do this to myself. Every year I say "I am not planting as many flowers as last year." or "I am not planting anything this year." And then spring comes around and I see the flower shops opening and all of the colors and life that's in bloom and I just can't help myself.
I have to buy flowers.
Inevitably I buy way too many and end up needing a new flower pot or two. On top of what I already have. I wasn't going to plant as many remember? And now I need more flower pots. I love them for a while. But then, I have to water them. Then it gets really hot and I have to water them a lot. Then there are mosquitoes and I have to bath myself in bug spray before I attempt to water them everyday.
Ugh....is it worth it?
Here's some pics of my back yard. This is most of it, but there are some flowery groups I left out because I'm not too excited about them.
A view off of my porch:.JPG)
My million bells: .JPG)
My latest flower collage. There used to be a giant hydrangea bush under this, but gradually over the past few years it has faded and barely grown. So we ripped it out! So far, I like this better - though it is 5 times as much work: (Can you find my guarding horse sculpture?).JPG)
My favorite spot. This is in the back corner of my yard. Unfortunately, there are so many mosquitos that I can't enjoy my favorite spot. I hate soaking myself in bug spray, and I don't like the thought of covering Elli in it either. It's a pretty big bummer. It is so nice to sit here. We are thinking of putting some solid white privacy fencing back in this corner. I think it will make it even prettier and really complete the yard...and when my neighbor mows his dirt it will keep it off of my shade garden. .JPG)
I planted strawberries last year in a pot. Completely left them for dead through the winter, probably quit watering them early last summer and they came back! The even tripled in size! Unfortunately, I've had like 3 strawberries...the stupid birds have eaten them. I hate birds. The apparently don't get enough bread, green peppers, hot dog scraps, mystery foods (all I have found in my front yard) from my neighbors that they have to come and invade my yard barrier and eat MY strawberries that I haven't given them permission to do. My neighbors use their yards and street as a compost pile I think sometimes....they feed the birds. Only they aren't pretty birds...they are the huge pigeons you see in central park....I HATE THEM. I'd love to have a sling shot.
I digress...
Here's my strawberries.
I'll post of my front yard another time :)
4 comments:
It's all so worth it, because it is all so very pretty! It's all worth it because it is an artistic release and you enjoy creating it, working with it, the challenge of it, and they bring you both pleasure and pride to look at them. Deal with it, you inherited it from your mom and grandma so it's in you (and prob Elli too)! Mom
Beautiful! And I hate birds too!
Your yard is beautiful. Too bad about the stinkin mosquitos, they do ruin a nice peaceful time to relax. Do the birds still get the strawberries through the screen? As your grandpa used to say..."They're just trying to make a living too."
Lois
Have you tried Yard Guard? You can spray the yard instead of yourself! It works really well. I am also going to try something I recently heard. Half listerine and half water sprayed on yourself is way too stinky for the mosquitos to bother with. Or even sticking a dryer sheet in your pocket.
Post a Comment