Friday, August 1, 2008

Free at last

My last day at pier 1 was the longest day EVER. I didn't sleep at all the night before because I came home from work with a sniffle that turned into a full blown head cold. So all I wanted to do was lay down and nap. And I couldn't for 8 hours. Ugh. But I did get a little work done while I was there, and I ran through the front doors like you do when school's out. I threw my (invisible) hat up in the air like Mary Tyler Moore, and shouted "Free at last!" It was a good time. :)
So right now, I am feeling pretty good about not working at Pier 1 anymore. I am feeling relaxed, stress free, and comfortable with my decision. I am glad that I don't have to work with customers anymore - not all of them are bad, just 90% of them are picky, annoying, mean, needy, and think they know everything. There are a few that I love to work with and enjoy, and I'll miss them - but it is kindof cool knowing that they have a place setting on their table that I worked on, or a flower arrangement that I did, or a gigantic Christmas tree that cost $1500 in their home that I put together. I won't miss having a schedule tht changes weekly and I makes it so I can't make a routine of any sort. I won't miss working until 10 in the evening. I don't know a lot of the people that I worked with now - there are only a couple that I know well at all, so it isn't like I'm going to miss the people I work with. I'll keep in touch with those that I worked with for a while. I will miss creating awesome displays and having anything in the store at my disposal to work with. I won't miss moving furniture. I will miss my discount. Oh well, I guess if I don't have it, I won't buy stuff that I don't need or bought only because it was so cheap. I'll miss the extra income. It was a good run while it lasted.
Now, I am a stay at home mom. I may one day regret quitting, but for now....I feel pretty good. I'm going to go back to school, clean up my studio, start going to the Y since I've had a membership for over a year and haven't gone at all....seriously, not once for myself, and maybe cook dinner more often than I do. :)

PS - beach updates will come once I get my pics on the computer

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!.!.!.! I am happy for you... Elli (and Mike) will truly be blessed by your decision :-) I pray that when we have kids someday I will be able to stay home and invest more into their lives...

Jessica said...

Well, I'm jealous. Congrats! I know you are doing what is best for you and your family!

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you waited until you were sure you were ready to take the big plunge. I know you will miss having that set time and opportunity to create things, but maybe you can facilitate that in your home, and still have your baby there with you. Once you get in the swing of things (whatever that becomes for you and Elli and Mike), you will wonder how you ever did anything different =) Much love, and I can't wait to see you all tan and free!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo, you did it! I think it will be exciting to go back to school and know that you're working toward another goal. It will be great for you to be able to spend more time with Elli and have time to do some of your own art. I envy you, since I will be going back to work very soon. Ick.
Lois